Re: SGID inheritance in different file-systems

On 8/30/13 7:19 AM, Vasily Isaenko wrote:
> Dear XFS Members,
>
> In the XFS test suite there is a test case generic/314 "Test SGID inheritance on subdirectories".
> It is not specific to a particular filesystem thus selected for both xfs or ext4 test runs.
> In other words, the same behaviour is expected and enforced for XFS and EXT4.

Yep, and it passes on both of them, as well as on ext3, ext2, btrfs, and gfs2...

> However, I have been told that EXT4 and XFS may have different behaviour as the
> setgid-directory behavior is not guaranteed to work the same way on all filesystems.

"I have been told" ... I'm guessing that you have tested a filesystem which doesn't
behave this way?  Which one?

> Shall XFS test case reflect that difference or enforcing the same behaviour is appropriate?

If you have information that a filesystem exists which does not inherit SGID, and
that this behavior is intentional and correct and standards-compliant, then feel
free to submit a patch.

However, I think you'll need to have a convincing argument against the man pages.

chmod(2) says:

       S_ISGID  (02000)  set-group-ID   (set   process   effective   group  ID  on
                         execve(2); mandatory locking, as described  in  fcntl(2);
                         take  a  new  file’s  group  from  parent  directory,  as
                         described in chown(2) and mkdir(2))

mkdir(2) says:

       The newly created directory will be owned by the effective user ID  of  the
       process.   If  the  directory  containing the file has the set-group-ID bit
       set, or if the file system is mounted with BSD group  semantics  (mount  -o
       bsdgroups  or, synonymously mount -o grpid), the new directory will inherit
       the group ownership from its parent; otherwise it  will  be  owned  by  the
       effective group ID of the process.

and chown(2) says:

NOTES
       When  a  new  file  is  created (by, for example, open(2) or mkdir(2)), its
       owner is made the same as the file system user ID of the creating  process.
       The  group of the file depends on a range of factors, including the type of
       file system, the options used to mount the file system, and whether or  not
       the set-group-ID permission bit is enabled on the parent directory.  If the
       file system supports  the  -o grpid  (or,  synonymously  -o bsdgroups)  and
       -o nogrpid  (or,  synonymously  -o sysvgroups)  mount(8)  options, then the
       rules are as follows:

       * If the file system is mounted with -o grpid, then the group of a new file
         is made the same as that of the parent directory.

       * If the file system is mounted with -o nogrpid and the set-group-ID bit is
         disabled on the parent directory, then the group of a new  file  is  made
         the same as the process’s file system GID.

       * If the file system is mounted with -o nogrpid and the set-group-ID bit is
         enabled on the parent directory, then the group of a new file is made the
         same as that of the parent directory.

Thanks,
Eric