Re: Failure growing xfs with linux 3.10.5

Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 05:16:14PM +0200, Michael Maier wrote:
>> Dave Chinner wrote:

>>> that depends on whether there's actually a problem. Like I said in
>>> the part you snipped off - if you ran xfs_repair -n on filesystem
>>> that needs log recovery that accounting difference is expected.
>>
>> I know, that option -n doesn't do anything. It was intended, because
>> xfs_repair destroyed a lot of data when applied at the other problem I
>> have _and_ it repaired nothing at the same time!
>
> xfs_repair will remove files it cannot repair because their metadata
> is are too corrupted to repair or cannot be repaired safely. That's
> always been the case for any filesystem repair tool - all they
> guarantee is that the filesystem will be consistent after they are
> run. Repairing a corrupted filesystem almost always results in some
> form of data loss occurring....
>
> If there is nothing wrong with the filesystem except the accouting
> is wrong, then it will fix the accounting problem in phase 5 when
> run without the -n parameter.

Ok, it's fixed now (w/ the git xfs_repair). Thanks for clarification.
I'm sorry, but I was a little bit scared because of the other problem
:-( I faced.

>>> The above is complaining about a free inode count mismatch, not a
>>> problem about free space being wrong. What problem are you actually
>>> having?
>>
>> The application, which wanted to write a few bytes gets a "disk full"
>> error although df -h reports 69GB of free space.
>
> That's not necessarily a corruption, though, and most likely isn't
> related to the accounting issue xfs_repair is reporting. Indeed,
> this is typically a sign of being unable to allocate an inode
> because there is insufficient contiguous free space in the
> filesystem to allocate a new inode chunk. What does your free space
> histogram look like?
>
> # xfs_db -r -c "freesp -s" <dev>

Unfortunately, this isn't possible any more, because meanwhile I removed
a lot of data, therefore the actual data doesn't hit the situation I
faced a few days ago. Sorry. Should it happen again, I will for sure
remember your mail!

Thanks,
Michael