Re: understanding speculative preallocation

On 7/26/13 3:38 PM, Jason Rosenberg wrote:
> Hi Stan,
>
> Thanks for the info (most of it was, in fact, news to me). I'm an
> application developer trying to debug a disk space problem, that's
> all. So far, I've tracked it down to being an XFS issue.
>
> So you are saying there's no public information that can correlate
> XFS versioning to CentOS (or RHEL) versioning?
>
> Sad state of affairs.
>
> If anyone can volunteer this info (if available to you) I'd be much
> appreciative.
>
> Regardless, is there a version history for XFS vis-a-via mainline
> Linux?

There is no exact version history per se, ie. no "XFS version 2.51"

Instead, the best point of reference upstream is the kernel release number,
i.e. kernel 2.6.32, kernel 3.2, etc.  Ben pointed you at changelogs
for that, which you can peruse...

Once you get into RHEL, you're into a land of backports - originally
2.6.32, but various & sundry updates & backports, to the point where
it is a bit of a special snowflake, based on the requirements of RHEL
customers and the RHEL maintainers (who, incidentally, are also major
upstream XFS developers).

Your best bet for a distro kernel is to look at i.e. the kernel RPM
changelog to see what's been going on.  But you won't be able
to correlate that exactly with any one upstream version, unless maybe
you see a "rebase $SUBSYSTEM to $KERNEL_VERSION" code type changelog.

Back to your original problem, you may find that just setting a fixed
allocsize as a mount option has more pros than cons for your usecase.

HTH,

-Eric