Re: understanding speculative preallocation

Is it safe to say that speculative preallocation will not be used if a file is opened read-only?

It turns out that the kafka server does indeed write lots of log files, and rotate them after they reach a max size, but never closes the files until the app exits, or until it deletes the files.  This is because it needs to make them available for reading, etc.   So, an obvious change for kafka might be to close each log file after rotating, and then re-open it read-only for consumers of the data.  Does that sound like a solution that would pro-actively release pre-allocated storage?

Thanks,

Jason