Re: definitions for /proc/fs/xfs/stat

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:22:35PM -0400, Mark Seger wrote:
> I was thinking a little color commentary might be helpful from a
> perspective of what the functionally is that's driving the need for
> fallocate.  I think I mentioned somewhere in this thread that the
> application is OpenStack Swift, which is  a highly scalable cloud object
> store.

I'm familiar with it and the problems it causes filesystems. What
application am I talking about here, for example?

http://oss.sgi.com/pipermail/xfs/2013-June/027159.html

Basically, Swift is trying to emulate Direct IO because python
does't support Direct IO. Hence Swift is hacking around that problem
and causing secondary issues that would never have occurred if
Direct IO was used in the first place.

Cheers,

Dave.
--