Re: garbage block(s) after powercycle/reboot + sparse writes

Hi guys,

I reproduced this on two more boxes and have more data.  The full set of
notes/logs is at

	http://newdream.net/~sage/bug-4976/notes.txt

I stashed a copy of the ceph log and the file itself for each case too:

	http://newdream.net/~sage/bug-4976/

The new information:
 - the file was created and allocated prior to the powercycle.
 - the writes were then replayed by the ceph journaling after restart
 - garbage data appears at offsets we never wrote to

If this pattern isn't suggesting any likely theories, I could rig things
up to try to capture the ceph log output leading up to the crash so I
positively confirm what the sequence was leading up to the power cycle.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
sage

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 6/4/13 2:24 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
> > I'm observing an interesting data corruption pattern:
> >
> > - write a bunch of files
> > - power cycle the box
>
> I guess this part is important?  But I'm wondering why...
>
> > - remount
> > - immediately (within 1-2 seconds) write create a file and
>
> a new file, right?

It was created and written to (w/ the same pattern) before the crash.  We
then repeat the sequence after when replaying the ceph journal.

> >  - write to a lower offset, say offset 430423 len 527614
> >  - write to a higher offset, say offset 1360810 len 269613
> >  (there is other random io going to other files too)
> >
> > - about 5 seconds later, read the whole file and verify content
> >
> > And what I see:
> >
> > - the first region is correct, and intact
>
> the lower offset you wrote?

Right

> > - the bytes that follow, up until the block boundary, are 0
>
> that's good ;)
>
> > - the next few blocks are *not* zero! (i've observed 1 and 6 4k blocks)
>
> that's bad!
>
> > - then lots of zeros, up until the second region, which appears intact.
>
> the lot-of-zeros are probably holes?

Right

> What does xfs_bmap -vvp <filename> say about the file in question?

The notes.txt file linked above has the bmap output.

Thanks!
sage