Re: XFS Adding Quotas - Skip Quota check on first mount/boot

On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 07:04:27AM +0200, Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz wrote:
> On Friday 07 of June 2013, Dave Chinner wrote:
>
> > > I suspect that upon re-mount, XFS is running a quota check on the 14TB
> > > RAID. My question is: how do I disable the initial quota check so it
> > > can mount it properly and have quota check run in the background?
> >
> > You can't. quotacheck relies on exclusive access to the filesystem,
> > and so the mount cannot process until it completes. Quotas need to
> > be consistent before you can start using the filesystem....
> >
> > Now, there's the possibility that we could parallelise quotacheck
> > because it uses bulkstat for iteration, but somebody would have to
> > find the time to do that and it won't solve your immediate problem.
>
> I'm facing similar problem sometimes. The parallelisation would be nice but
> I'm missing something more obvious - kind of progress indicator, like printked
> message (or in proc/sysfs) after processing some known part of job.

Patches welcome ;)

> This is needed purely for estimating downtime of the service.

xfstests:src/bstat

that will run a single threaded bulkstat pass across your
filesystem. You can do it online, while the filesystem is up and
being used, and it's runtime will give you an indication of how long
a quotacheck (a single threaded bulkstat pass) will take to run.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner