Re: xfsprogs-3.1.11 pre-release please test!

On 5/1/13 4:17 PM, Mark Tinguely wrote:
> On 05/01/13 16:01, Eric Sandeen wrote:

>>> The new lines (below) in xfs_check.sh breaks older xfstests:
>>>
>>>    xfs_check is deprecated and scheduled for removal in June 2014.
>>>    Please use xfs_repair -n<dev>  instead.
>>
>> Hum, I thought xfstests stopped calling xfs_check.sh and implemented
>> its own xfs_check internally:
>>
>> commit 187bccd310dc253feaebd69df4ccdda21eee12d0
>> Author: Chandra Seetharaman<sekharan@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date:   Thu Apr 18 17:44:02 2013 +0000
>>
>>      xfstests: Remove dependence of xfs_check script
>>
>>      Replace the usage of the script xfs_check and add the relevant code to
>>      xfstests.

>> -        [ "$XFS_CHECK_PROG" = "" ]&&  _fatal "xfs_check not found"
>> ... etc ...
>>
>> where is check getting called directly?
>>
>> (Or: is your xfstests up to date?)
>>
>> -Eric
>
> I disclosed it as an older xfstests.

Sorry, I missed that.

> It is conceivable that people will install the latest xfsprogs and not upgrade xfstests. I can hear it now, "It used to just work..." :)

So what's the proposed solution? ;)

TBH I think xfstests is the kind of thing that is in so much flux you should always assume you need a newer version.

And since it's mostly qe/devel types using it, I'd submit that they can figure it out, but if you have a better idea, I'm all ears!

Is it the return code of xfs_check or the extra output that's breaking xfstests?

<looks>

It's the extra output I guess.  I don't know how to issue a deprecation message w/o adding output, so it seems like this is a hiccup we'll have to live with.

I suppose we could add "if you're using xfstests, upgrade it now!" to the message.  :)

-Eric