Re: [ASSERT failure] transaction reservations changes bad?

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:16:17PM +0800, Jeff Liu wrote:
> On 03/27/2013 10:03 AM, Dave Chinner wrote:

> >> I did some further tests to nail down this issue, just posting the analysis result here,
> >> it might be of some use when we revising it again.
> >>
> >> The disk is formated with Dave's previous comments, i.e.
> >> mkfs.xfs -f -b size=512 -d agcount=16,su=256k,sw=12 -l su=256k,size=2560b /dev/xxx
> >>
> >> First of all, looks this bug stayed in hiding for years since I can reproduce it between upstream
> >> 3.0 to 3.9.0-rc3, the oldest kernel I have tried is 2.6.39 which has the same problem.
> >
> > If you mount 2.6.39 with "-o nodelaylog", does the problem go away?
> touch file is ok, but create directory still cause the assertion failure.

So it is not related to the way that delayed logging steals
reservations for the CIL context checkpoint as the problem still
occurs when delayed logging is disabled. That means it is likely to
be related only to the log stripe unit being set....

> >> IMHO, looks the major cause is related to the 'sunit' parameter,
> >> since it would affect the log space unit calculations by
> >> '2*log->l_mp->m_sb.sb_logsunit' at xlog_ticket_alloc().  However,
> >> we don't include this factor into consideration at mkfs or mount
> >> stage, should we take it into account?
> >
> > That's what I suspected was the problem. i.e. that the log was too
> > small for the given configuration.
> >
> > The question is this: how much space do we need to reserve. I'm
> > thinking a minimum of 4*lsu - 2*lsu for the existing CIL context, and
> > another 2*lsu for any queued ticket waiting for space to come
> > available.
> >
> > I haven't thought a lot about it, though, and I have a little demon
> > sitting on my shoulder nagging me about specific thresholds whether
> > they need to play a part in this. e.g. no single transaction can be
> > larger than half the log; AIL push thresholds of 25% of log space;
> > background CIL commit threshold of 12.5% of the log...
> >
> > So it's not immediately clear to me how much bigger the log needs to
> > be...
> I still need some time to understand the space reservation strategy to
> figure them out. :(

OK. Thanks for digging into this, Jeff.

Cheers,

Dave.