Re: Xfs_repair and journalling

What I understand is that, XFS being a journalling filesystem makes running xfs_repair after a unclean unmount unnecessary.

After a system crash or force power down, one can mount the filesystem which causes the journal to be replayed and handles the half finished writes. This is one part. But there can be other file corruption as well and these can be handled by xfs_repair.
So the crux is to mount the filesystem so that journal will be replayed, and then unmount the filesystem and run xfs_repair. (Assuming xfs_repair may not be a mandatory step always)

In case of EXT4, journal will not be replayed on performing mount. One need to invoke fsck which performs journal playback and then other corruption checks/recovery.
Correct me if I am wrong.