Re: XFS slow when project quota exceeded (again)

On 02/15/2013 05:38 AM, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Fri 15-02-13 18:16:07, Dave Chinner wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 02:14:52PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
>> The fix to that problem is mentioned here:
>>
>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/xfs/msg15186.html
>>
>> Which is to:
>>
>> 	a) throttle speculative allocation as EDQUOT approaches; and
>> 	b) efficiently track speculative preallocation
>> 	   for all the inodes in the given project, and write back
>> 	   and trim those inodes on ENOSPC.
>>
>> both of those are still a work in progress. I was hoping that we'd
>> have a) in 3.9, but that doesn't seem likely now the merge window is
>> just about upon us....
>   Yeah, I know someone is working on a better solution. I was mostly
> wondering why writeback_inodes_sb() isn't enough - i.e. why do you really
> need to wait for IO completion. And you explained that below. Thanks!

Sorry, I think the work for a) is pretty close [1]. We've had a bug fix
or two in this area and the speculative prealloc algorithm update to
handle sparse files since v2, so I have to rebase against those changes
and continue some sanity testing. I'll try to have something available
over the next week or so.

The last bits required for b) (i.e., the pquota ENOSPC trigger) is a bit
further out, but FWIW I have an RFC posted [2] to get some early design
feedback on a solution.

Brian

[1] - v2 - http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2013-01/msg00006.html
[2] - http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2012-12/msg00112.html