Re: xfs deadlock on buffer semaphore while reading directory

Dave Chinner wrote:
I can't get the buffers to 'free' no matter what
echo 3> /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches does nothing.

What buffers are you talking about? The deadlock is in metadata
buffer handling, which you can't directly see, and will never be
able to entirely free via drop caches.

if you are talking about what is reported by the "free" command,
then that number can be ignored as it is mostly meaningless for XFS
filesystems....
----
	Actually was talking 'cache', not buffers... sorry,
which I thought was mostly fs-data that was "freeable" (mostly).
whereas because of the error in xfs_dump, I was concerned about
it taking up all free memory (whereas normally, it doesn't
matter).

but I was trying to use echo 3>/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches, but that
seemed to pretty much be ignored...

But after boot and new kernel w/new and different problems,
xfs_dump (the new version) works fine... ;)
Sorry for any confusion.