Re: [UBER-PATCH, RFC] xfsprogs: sync libxfs to 3.8-rc2 kernel code

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 04:56:29PM -0600, Ben Myers wrote:
> [...]
> > 	  of the attr listing code to a kernel only file.
> > 	- move all the non-mount related code out of xfs_mount.c as
> > 	  very little of the kernel mount.c is used in userspace
> > 		- in-core superblock code into own file
> > 		- other superblock stuff into own file
> > 		- per-ag infrastructure into own file
> > 	- sync regularly. i.e. at the end of every kernel cycle.
> > 	- move extent tree stuff in xfs_inode.c into own file as it
> > 	  is not used in userspace
> > 	- move inode flushing into own file - userspace has it's won
> > 	  versions
> > 	- move inode locking into own file - userspace doesn't use
> > 	  locking.
> > 	- sync regularly. i.e. at the end of every kernel cycle.
> > 	- work out how to handle static inline functions more
> > 	  cleanly as userspace has need of inline functions inside
> > 	  __KERNEL__ regions but they can't be included from the
> > 	  header files because the structure definition in libxfs.h
> > 	  requires definitions from the header file which includes
> > 	  the static inline function which then fails to compile
> > 	  because the structure is not defined. e.g. xfs_inode and
> > 	  xfs_get/set_projid.
> > 	- make sure kernel/user functions pass the same parameters.
> > 	  e.g. xfs_get/set_projid require xfs_icdinode to be passed
> > 	  because they are called from xfs_db/xfs_repair which don't
> > 	  have a struct xfs_inode context, while the kernel versions
> > 	  pass struct xfs_inode....
> > 	- kernel infrastructure changes tend to have major impact
> > 	  on the userspace code - changes to the userspace code
> > 	  should be done at the same time.
> > 	- sync regularly. i.e. at the end of every kernel cycle.
> >

> > This patch, despite it's size and complexity, seems to run through
> > xfstests without any obvious regressions. I've run with standard 4k
> > block sizes, 4k block/64k dirblock size and 512byte block/32k
> > directory block sizes without unexpected issues on a 3.8-rc2 kernel.
> > I could probably split this huge patch up into a couple of patches
> > (one to do all the discontiguous buffer support, one for all the
> > dir2 header changes and fixing the fallout, and one for the rest),
> > but right now I don't have time for that so I figured I just make
> > people aware that they are going to nee dto put some time aside for
> > review in the not too distant future...
> >
> > The next step in this work is bring across the kernel CRC
> > infrastructure so libxlog can be updated to match the kernel code.
> > Once that is in place, I'll then add all the CRC on-disk format
> > changes and I can start to test the kernel changes I have. I'm
> > hoping to have all the kernel changes ready for review by the end of
> > next week in the hope that we can get the kernel changes reviewd for
> > the 3.9 merge cycle...
>
> I'm really looking forward to seeing this code, but I don't think we should
> rush into this.  If the few weeks between now and the merge window is enough
> time to get this thoroughly reviewed and tested, that's awesome.  But we'll

It'll be marked as experimental, just like the initial delayed
logging enhancement was, so it's not critical that it is perfect
first time through. I'm working under a pretty tight deadline here,
and the kernel code is what I'm really concerned about - the userspace
code simply has to work well enough initially to be able to test the
kernel changes. I'd suggest that mostly ignoring the userspace code
right now and concentrating on the reviewing the kernel code when it
is posted is the best use of review and testing time right now..

> > Anyway, patch is below. Feedback and testing welcome.
>
> I would like to see this split up if possible.  It is too big to review
> effectively.

That can be done later. I just don't have time to do it now - having
it work is far more important than being pretty or easy to review.
Consider this a heads up for the amount of review and testing work
that is going to be needed over the next couple of months...

FWIW, because of the size of the sync, I'm not going to spend any
significant time breaking it up into fine grained patches - 3 or 4
at most I think. Any finer grained than that is just a waste of time
and effort that coul dbe going to other things.

As it is, the last usr/kernel sync was a bit larger than this, and
it was only split into 3 patches. In terms of review, it was really
only given high level review and then *lots* of testing as a
substitute for fine grained review. It ended up working pretty well
- there were very few regressions introduced - and I suspect that
this is the best approach to take for this sync as well. We've only
just done a release, so we've got some time to get the code synced,
the CRC changes merged and test the hell out of it before we think
about a new release 3 months down the track...

TO avoid this large patch problem in future, we need to restructure
some of the kernel code to make this process easier, smaller and
simpler to verify. That will take time to do, and until it is done
the sync process is going to require painfully large patches....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner