Re: block alignment

On 01/07/2013 04:33 PM, Bradley C. Kuszmaul wrote:
What is the largest data block size that I'm likely to run into with xfs?

I ask, since I'm doing hole punching, and I don't want to incur the I/O required to zero unaligned boundaries. So I want to keep the holes I punch sufficiently well aligned.

-Bradley

I think that you really need to worry about the block sizes below XFS - the storage block size specifically. Upstream (and modern distros like RHEL/SLES/etc) do work to export out alignment requirements and optimal IO sizes.

You can find them in /sys/block/sda/. Martin Peterson wrote up a good overview of what we have in there:

https://oss.oracle.com/~mkp/

Ric