Re: XFS write cache flush policy

On 12/19/2012 7:40 PM, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

> I had thought about issuing a
> 'sync', because the previous incarnation of the bug flashed before my
> inner eye. But by the time i had shutdown X and got to the
> command-prompt i had already forgotten to type 'sync' and went straight
> for 'reboot'

When did you last read the man pages for reboot and shutdown?  reboot
issues a sync automatically unless you specify

-n     Don't sync before reboot or halt. Note that the kernel and
storage drivers may still sync.

(note the disclaimer)

and even though the shutdown man page doesn't state so explicitly, I'm
pretty darn sure that shutdown issues a sync before halting or rebooting.

Thus, you shouldn't have to manually call sync before issuing your
favorite system restart command.  If sync isn't being called, maybe
there's an issue with the versions of these commands shipped with your
distro, or other type of problem.

--
Stan