Re: [BUG] xfs_quota: can't handle the users managed by LDAP

Hi Dave and all,

(2012/11/26 17:48), Satoru Takeuchi wrote:
> (2012/11/23 8:37), Dave Chinner wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 02:05:03PM +0900, Satoru Takeuchi wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Current xfs_quota (I pulled xfsprogs today) seems not be able to the users
>>> managed by LDAP. There is no patch since I'm not good at LDAP and don't know
>>> the root cause yet ;-(
>>>
>>> Step to reproduce(in this case, "sat" is the user managed by LDAP):
>>> ===============================================================================
>>> # uname -r
>>> 3.7.0-rc5
>>> # mount -o loop,usrquota xfs.img mnt
>>> # xfsprogs/quota/xfs_quota -xc "limit bsoft=10M bhard=10M sat" /dev/loop0
>>> xfs_quota: invalid user name: sat                                          # denied
>>> # su sat
>>> $                                                                          # But this user acutally exists.
>>> ===============================================================================
>>>
>>> The kernel is a bit old, but I suspect this is a userland problem.
>>
>> Yes, userland.
>>
>> However, xfs_quota is not supposed to know about LDAP, or NIS, or
>> any other user database. It uses the getpwnam() to convert the user
>> name to a UID, and that call is failing to find "sat". This is
>> supposed to work with LDAP (as mentioned in the man page), and if it
>> isn't it generally means something is broken with your LDAP setup
>> (/etc/nsswitch.conf not correct?) rather than there being something
>> wrong with xfs_quota....
>
> Probably this behaivor comes from the difference between the test machine
> and the build machine which I built the upstream xfsprogs.
>
> I made the following simple program which just calls getpwnam().

> #include <sys/types.h>
> #include <pwd.h>
> #include <err.h>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <stdlib.h>
>
> int main(void)
> {
>         struct passwd *p;
>         if ((p = getpwnam("sat")) == NULL)
>                 err(EXIT_FAILURE, "getpwnam() failed.");
>         printf("name = %s, id = %d\n", p->pw_name, p->pw_uid);
>         exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
> }
>
> Here is the result of this problem at the test machine.
>
>  - SUCCEEDED: build at the test machine
>  - FAILED: built at the build machine
>
> I will build xfsprogs at the test machine and confirm whether this behavior
> (getpwnam() fails) happens or not again.

I retried the step to reproduce and encountered the anotehr behavior with the
newest xfsprogs built at the test machine. In this test, getpwnam()
worked fine, but quota didn't work for LDAP user.

test result("testquota" is local user and "sat" is LDAP user here):
# mount -t xfs -o loop,usrquota xfs.img mnt
# ~sat/src/xfsprogs/quota/xfs_quota -xc "report -h" /dev/loop0
User quota on /home/sat/work/xfs/mnt (/dev/loop0)
                        Blocks
User ID      Used   Soft   Hard Warn/Grace
---------- ---------------------------------
root            0      0      0  00 [------]    # There is no limit yet

# ~sat/src/xfsprogs/quota/xfs_quota -xc "limit bsoft=10M bhard=10M testquota" /dev/loop0
# echo $?
0
# ~sat/src/xfsprogs/quota/xfs_quota -xc "report -h" /dev/loop0
User quota on /home/sat/work/xfs/mnt (/dev/loop0)
                        Blocks
User ID      Used   Soft   Hard Warn/Grace
---------- ---------------------------------
root            0      0      0  00 [------]
testquota       0    10M    10M  00 [------]     # limit to local user works fine
# ~sat/src/xfsprogs/quota/xfs_quota -xc "limit bsoft=10M bhard=10M sat" /dev/loop0
# echo $?
0
# ~sat/src/xfsprogs/quota/xfs_quota -xc "report -h" /dev/loop0
User quota on /home/sat/work/xfs/mnt (/dev/loop0)
                        Blocks
User ID      Used   Soft   Hard Warn/Grace
---------- ---------------------------------
root            0      0      0  00 [------]
testquota       0    10M    10M  00 [------]      # limit to LDAP user does not work although xfs_quota returns 0

I tried it with real partition rather than loopback device, but the result
was the same.

I'll investigate it in detail later...

Does anyone have the system with which xfs + usrquota + LDAP works fine?
Although I still suspect my LDAP configuration, it is appeared that
getpwnam() works fine now and I doublt another reason too.

Thanks,
Satoru