Re: master branch fast-forwarded to v3.7-rc1, and corp-speak mumble

Hi Dave,

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 04:08:50PM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 05:28:38PM -0500, Ben Myers wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 03:20:59PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > > Dave had concerns that a regression, which, although quickly fixed, was
> > > cited as the reason for missing a merge window.
> > >
> > > This concerns me too, because it's not just SGI's timetables that matter
> > > here; others are also depending on this work getting upstream within certain
> > > deadlines as well.
> > >
> > > Reading back through the list, I'm alarmed that SGI wants some unspecified
> > > "soak time," but not upstream, for new work.  There's no better place than an
> > > -rc1 to get soak & exposure for tested patches.  Bugs get found and fixed.
> >
> > I think you are referring to my comment in this message:
> > http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2012-10/msg00122.html
> >
> > My soak time comment was with regard to a specific patch set that had a history
> > of problems.  My comment was not meant to indicate that SGI plans to soak every
> > patch before we pull it in.  We do run the regression test suite on new patches
> > before pulling them in though.
>
> I think the misunderstanding stems from the approach taken to
> resolve this particular case combined it with abstract references to
> stabilty and avoiding all regressions in the dev tree.  We need to
> keep communication clear and direct...
>
> > > I don't think the XFS developer community needs a lecture on patch submission
> > > processes and quality expectations.
> >
> > Sorry it came off that way.  Maybe not everyone else sees it, but we have had a
> > few situations recently where a patch was posted which clearly hadn't been
> > adequately tested by the developer.  E.g. something crashes right away, hits an
> > assert, or whatever.
>
> This is something that the review process is supposed to cover. If
> you don't think a patch set is adequately tested, then that should
> be part of your review feedback.
>
> i.e. timely communication is very helpful here, so we all should be
> trying to review code within a couple of days of it being posted and
> not leaving it for a week or two to rot before looking at it....
>
> > It's not a huge deal, but that's why we wanted to remind
> > everyone to test before posting.  I hope that most everyone is not running into
> > those kinds of problems because they are usually caught before commit time.
>
> Developers do test their code - they test them to the best of their
> ability and available hardware. That doesn't mean the code is
> perfect or bug free - we know from years of experience that a change
> that passes xfstests on several developers machines might cause a
> repeated ASSERT failure on one specific machine with a specific
> configuration somewhere else.
>
> Such a problem is not the devloper's fault, though, and keeping the
> code out of the dev tree because of such a problem is a harsh
> penalty. And it's apenalty that just places more burden on
> developers and reviewers.
>
> i.e. Instead of having to just review/track a single patch for the
> [...]

Thanks for the talk, coach.  ;)

Well everyone seems to agree that communication is the #1 problem.  So for my
part, that is what I'll be working on.  I'll ask the rest of the SGI XFS geeks
to do so as well.  Other contributors need to do the same, and to remember that
it cuts both ways:  I have a limited amount of time that I can spend running my
yap on this list while still getting some (marginally) useful technical work
done.  I am determined to spend it as best I can.

Gotta go.  Maybe I can pull in some code tonight! 8P

Thanks Dave,
-Ben