Re: more efficient way to print out inode->block mappings?

Hey Linda,

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 04:39:35AM -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
> I want to be able to rapidly determine the diffs between 2 volumes.
>
> Special note 1 is an active lvm snapshot of the other -- meaning it is
> frozen in time, but otherwise should look identical the the file system
> as it was when it was snapped.
>
> Sooo... a way of speeding checks is finding out what blocks allocated to the indoes
> are different, since as the new volume gets used, I had hoped that differing
> block numbers might give me a clue as to what had changed..

Differing block maps for the same inode on the two filesystems will give you a
clue that there are changes but it isn't perfect:

Consider xfs_fsr.  This might change block numbers for a file but the contents
stayed the same.

Also consider an overwrite situation.  The contents of the file are overwritten
and have changed but the block map stayed the same.  To detect that we'd need
some kind of generation number on every extent, and we don't have that.

At this time I don't think we have a solid way to tell you which blocks of a
file are different without actually comparing them.  I think you are stuck
looking at the mtime and then doing a full comparison.

Have you looked into using the xfs bulkstat ioctl interfaces?
XFS_IOC_FSBULKSTAT won't get you the block map, but maybe it would be useful to
you.  xfs_bmap is using XFS_IOC_GETBMAP*, but it sounds like you've already
considered that.  Maybe a creative invocation of xfsdump?

Let me know if I misunderstood and went off the rails.  ;)

HTH,
Ben