Re: howto keep xfs directory searches fast for a long time

Am Dienstag, 14. August 2012, 11:59:30 schrieb Stan Hoeppner:
> All the media players have playlist and index features.  So there's
> little need for searching an entire Samba share is there?

Media Players usually connect to a Samba/NFS share, and read contents.
Some even search for index JPGs, and present that for a sub-dir so you
have a preview. All that is directory access.

> What you apparently require is not something that can be addressed or
> optimized by filesystem or kernel tweaks.  As Dave pointed out with
> the 'locate' example in a CLI, this kind of thing is precisely what
> databases were designed for.

Yes, I use locate on that server of course, when I have shell access
that's just fine. The "best effort" I can do now is to run the find
service for locate daily morning, so inodes get pre-cached, and tune
vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 10 to keep them in the cache. This works rather
good. I just tried a "du -s /bigdir" again, it runs within a very short
time (<4s) even 4h after the locate run, this is good enough. Customer
will be happy. On the old server this took >3m, on the same hardware. A
speedup of at least 45x is what I call efficient tuning ;-)

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc

Tel: +43 660 / 415 6531