Re: [RFC] xfs: wait for the write of the superblock on unmount

On 07/18/12 20:58, Dave Chinner wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:33:58PM -0500, tinguely@xxxxxxx wrote:
Sorry, I have been distracted away from this regression. This was previously
titled "xfs: synchronously write the superblock on unmount".

xfs_wait_buftarg() does not wait for the completion of the write of the
uncached superblock. This write can race with the shutdown of the log and
causes a panic if the write does not win the race.

The log write of the superblock is important for possible recovery, but a
second syncronous write of the same superblock seems redundant. Would just
waiting for the iodone() of the log write before tearing down the log be
enough?

Yes. i.e. something like:

	/*
	 * The superblock buffer is uncached, so xfs_wait_buftarg()
	 * will not wait for it. Hence we need to explicitly wait
	 * for IO completion on the superblock to occur here.
	 */
	error = xfs_buf_iowait(mp->m_sb_bp);
	if (error)
		AAAAIEEEE!

This fix is also needed in xfs_quiesce_attr() for the freeze and
ro,remount cases as well.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks for the feedback.

I chose the ugly lock to block on the superblock buffer because it has XBF_ASYNC set at that point and won't go through the complete() patch. I will look at turning the XBF_ASYNC flag off and wait on a xfs_buf_iowait().

--Mark.