Re: Strange case of deleting lots of files and "df" not recognizing it....(unless I umount/mount) the disk...

Ben Myers wrote:

Yeah.  13 hours is a long time, esp for something you just removed.  ;)

Fortunately it's not the data that is cached, it's probably just a pesky dentry
hanging around on the lru with a single reference on the inode keeping it
active, preventing xfs from freeing up the blocks.

I've had some luck on v3.0 with the following patch... it's not yet tested on
3.5 so YMMV.  Are you running an NFS server?  Something that often creates
anonymous dentries?
----
nfs server is running but no clients (usage=rare)
samba server is running and has clients (usage=24/7)...

I wasn't even able to compile the last kernel I tried...my release has been
a bit screwey...

finally got perl to compile, that was another thorn in my side...

(when it rains it pours....)