Debugging file truncation problem

Hello,

I am trying to debug a problem that has bugged us for the last few months.

We have set up a large storage system using GlusterFS, and XFS underneath it. We have 5 RHEL6.2 servers (running 2.6.32-220.7.1.el6.x86_64 when problem last occurred), with LSI 9285-8e Raid Controller with Battery Backup Unit. System memory is 48GB.

Over the few months we have it running, we experience two complete power outage where everything went down for a long period of time.

After the system came back up, we found some files (between 1-10GB) truncated. By truncated I mean the file sizes shrunk, and we lost the tail of the files. Since the files were copied from another storage system, we have the original to compare. Furthermore we have a cron job that collect the file sizes once a day.

However, the troubling thing is, these files were all multiple days old, and were not being written to or accessed at the time of the power outage.

Last week, I sensed some problems on the OS on one of the machines, and so shut it down cleanly. And right after that, also upgraded the kernels and rebooted all other 4 servers. After they all came back up, we discovered truncated file again. I am sure the truncation occurred within the 24 hours before or after the reboots since the file sizes we had collected before the reboot differ from what we collected few hours after the reboot. The file truncation occurred on the problematic machine, and another one, which I have rebooted cleanly.

I tried to spend more time looking at the truncated files this time. I found some of the smaller files actually got truncated to zero length.

I used xfs_bmap to look at the extend allocation, and saw that all of them were using a single extent. So, by looking at the original file size, and the start location of the truncated file, I tried to extract the bits from the raw device, and saved it onto a different directory. Something like this: dd if=/dev/hdc of=/u1/recovered bs=1 count=1231451239 skip=53242445

To my amaze, after I wrote the file out this way (assuming the complete file were also occupying one single extent), the checksum matches the original file which resides on the server where I had copied the file from.

These are my questions:

- Under what possible circumstances would the updated inode not written to the disk, if the content of the file are already on disk?

- I tried to use block dump to debug while trying to reproduce the problem on another test box. I notice xfssyncd and xfsbufd don't cause data and inode to be writen to disk. It seems after a file is written, data and dirtied inode are written to disk only when flush wakes up. Does xfssyncd/xfsbufd only responsible for moving stuff to the system cache?

- Can all the flush processes die, or cease to work on a system and still allow the system to function?

I have been trying to reproduce the problem on a test box for the last few days but unsuccessful, except I see truncations on file newly written, and not yet flushed to disk when I reset the test box. It seems XFS is doing everything right. I tried writing through Gluster layer, and writing directory to the XFS file system and see no different in behavior. I would really like to get some ideas what else to look.

Thanks,
ling