Re: Still seeing hangs in xlog_grant_log_space

On 06/05/12 18:54, Dave Chinner wrote:

Reading bug #922 I see your test case reproduces in recent kernels, so
there must be a newer problem also.

Right, that's what we need to find - it appears to be a CIL
stall/accounting leak, completely unrelated to all the other AIL/log
space stalls that have been occurring. Last thing is that I was
waiting for more information on the stall that mark T @ sgi was able
to reproduce. I haven't heard anything from him since I asked for
more information on May 23....

Cheers,

Dave.

I am using the test instructions/programs in the above bug report

 1) Linux 3.5rc1
 2) temporary band-aid of performing a xfs_log_force() before the
    xfs_fs_log_dummy() in the xfs_sync_worker().
  a) Even with a xfs_log_force(), it is still possible to hang the sync
     worker.
  b) or replacing the band-aid with Brian Foster's "xfs: check for stale
     inode before acquiring iflock on push" patch also resulted in a
     quick hard hang.
     i) side note, printk routines in Linux 3.5rc1 has a "struct log"
       item that crash wants to use instead of XFS's "struct log". I
 3) small log (576K)
  a) size of the log in important. The smaller the log, the easier it
     is to hang. 2+MB logs are much harder to hang.
 4) perl program that has multiple workers doing cp/rm.

Sorry Dave, I did not realize you were waiting for more information from me. I thought the fixing the sync worker was more important.
I also was hoping empty AIL hang was a result of the band-aid
xfs_log_force() and not a second problem.

I will use the above to try to recreate and core the hang on Linux 3.5rc1 where the AIL is empty.

Thanks.

--Mark Tinguely.