XFS stack overflows

I was googling around for stack overflow problems with large XFS
filesystems and came across http://lwn.net/Articles/476562/ where Dave
asked people to email in occurrences of this problem (good article
btw!).  I can confirm that we've had regular crashes on our RHEL6 box
(2.6.32-131.6.1.el6.x86_64) with a 60TB XFS filesystem*.  We've
confirmed the crashes are stack overflows in XFS allocation from looking
at crash dumps.  This is medium-reproducible by writing to the
filesystem over NFS.  RH have had a case open (#00414047) open on this
issue since Feb 2011, though I don't know if it's been filtered upstream.

The last email I see on the subject on this list was
http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2011-12/msg00264.html where Dave
mentioned a patch, but recommended rebuilding the kernel with 16k
stacks.  Is this patch likely to be applied or has it been already?  If
not, presumably the 16k stack rebuild is the best way to go for a
working system?

Cheers,

Mike.

* Subsequently we've been limiting all XFS filesystems to a maximum of
30TB and haven't seen problems with those (other than data management
issues because our datasets are much bigger than 30TB).  While this is
still somewhat of a niche issue, cheap 48TB NAS servers are increasingly
common (~$10k).  As XFS is the only mainstream Linux filesystem capable
of handling these volumes, I imagine more people are likely to run into
this issue over time.
--
PGP: 0xD4925D35 (5A17 756C 3F78 27DB C641 F50C 05EC 4F23 D492 5D35)
Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Prospect Place, Plymouth, UK. PL4 9PN.