Re: 11.1

Am Mittwoch, 25. April 2012, 12:44:39 schrieb Paul Jones:
> I am running stock Suse 11.1, which is pretty old. Is there a way for
> me to take the latest version of the xfs code and compile it for
> 11.1, or os there a dependency on later kernel versions/Suse versions
> somehow? I am running 2.6-32..I wanted to get all the latest
> scalability and performance fixes..

We're on openSUSE since the beginning, and we have several openSUSE 11.1
still running, but with actual 3.3 kernels. It's possible. Depending on
your hardware, there can be some corners, but they are solveable. In our
case, those servers are on VMware ESXi 5, that's no problem.

Basically, just download the newest kernel, go to
/usr/src/linux-<version>/ and
gzip -cd /proc/config.gz >.config
(this copies your current .config), then do
make menuconfig
and change what you like/need, compile and install the kernel.

It's good to keep the old one in the /boot/grub/menu.lst, so you're
easily able to start that should the new one not start at first.

But this is a bit OT, so we should end it on the xfs list.

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc

Tel: +43 660 / 415 6531