Re: detecting case-insensitivity

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 06:27:20PM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> > > So, I assume the following is totally wrong, but the basic idea (create
> > > a new flag, set it based on xfs_sb_version_hasasciici, check it in nfsd)
> > > would work?
> >
> > Looks mostly OK to me.

> > > To be honest, I have no idea--it's not a mandatory attribute, so I think
> > > I'll instead just ceasing to support the attribute and seeing if anyone
> > > complains....
> >
> > I suspect that there are some applications out there that might care
> > that Bruce and bruce are the same file for matching purposes (e.g. a
> > file manager)
>
> I suppose they could try the create and find out what happens.
>
> If they actually want to be able to predict collisions instead of
> recognizing them after the fact then they may need to know in more
> detail how we handle case, and then I worry that I'll have to start
> understanding what language like this means:
>
> 	http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-17#section-12.7.1.3
>
> 	...if the NFSv4 file server supports the case_insensitive file
> 	system attribute, and if the case_insensitive attribute is true
> 	for a given file system, the NFS version 4 server MUST use the
> 	Unicode case mapping tables for the version of Unicode
> 	corresponding to the character repertoire.
>
> which isn't high on my todo list.

Right, unicode CI is a bitch to handle. There's still a lot of work
to be done in XFS before that is supported. See:

http://xfs.org/index.php/Unfinished_work#Support_for_unicode_.2F_utf8_filesystems

So if the NFSv4 flag really means full unicode CI, then there's
still work at the XFS level to be able to support that. ASCII CI is
a walk in the park compared to unicode....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner