Re: failed to set versionnum in AG 1

Hi Dave!

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > # xfs_db -x /dev/sdh1
> > xfs_db> version
> > versionnum [0xb4b4+0x8] = V4,ATTR,NLINK,ALIGN,DIRV2,LOGV2,EXTFLG,MOREBITS,ATTR2
>
> it already has the attr2 feature bit set.
Yes, it has. But another (old) partition does not have ATTR2 enabled. And
the error is the same when I try to set ATTR2. And the funny thing is,
after that, version report ATTR2 as set.

All my partitions have been created on RHEL5 (some are even older). On a
new partition (created on RHEL6) I can set ATTR2 over and over again
without any error reported. Should I backup everything, reformat all
partitions and restore everything?

> > xfs_db> version attr2
> > writing all SBs
> > Superblock has mismatched features2 fields, skipping modification
> > failed to set versionnum in AG 1
> > versionnum [0xb4b4+0x8] = V4,ATTR,NLINK,ALIGN,DIRV2,LOGV2,EXTFLG,MOREBITS,ATTR2
>
> What version of xfs_db are you using?
3.1.1 and 3.1.7

> And why do you need to set the attr2 feature this way? It gets set
> automatically when it gets used because on recent kernels it is the
> default mount option. If you have an older kernel and need to turn
> attr2 on, then simply add the "attr2" field to the mount options on
> the filesystem. Once xfs_info reports attr=2 for the filesytem, you
> can remove the attr2 mount option...
Thank you, but I know that. In fact it was the first thing I tried: can
the filesystem be be mounted if I add attr2 is in fstab. And I was able to
do so. Still, ATTR2 was not reported for the partition I was talking
above (without ATTR2 reported by version).

But that's not the point. I see an error message here "Superblock has
>>mismatched<< features2 fields". And another one ">>failed<< to set
versionnum in AG 1".
Still, xfs_repair does not see anything wrong with the filesystem. So
who's wrong? xfs_repair or xfs_db?
An most important: it's possible in the future to loose some data?

Sincerely,
Gabriel

- --

// Gabriel VLASIU
//
// OpenGPG-KeyID      : 0xE684206E
// OpenGPG-Fingerprint: 0C3D 9F8B 725D E243 CB3C 8428 796A DB1F E684 206E
// OpenGPG-URL        : http://www.vlasiu.net/public.key