Re: xfsrestore will create orphanage directory when use -t

On 02/17/2012 06:22 PM, Tommy Wu wrote:
2012/2/18 Bill Kendall<wkendall@xxxxxxx>:
On 02/14/2012 11:21 AM, Tommy Wu wrote:

from the xfsdump man page:
xfsrestore also generates a directory named orphanage in the dest
directory. xfsrestore removes this directory after completing a simple
restore. However, if orphanage is not empty, it is not removed. This
can happen if files present on the dump media are not referenced by
any of the restored directories. The orphanage has an entry for each
such file. The entry name is the file's original inode number, a ".",
and the file's generation count modulo 4096 (only the lower 12 bits of
the generation count are used).

and the -t option from xfsdump man page:
Displays the contents of the dump, but does not create or modify any
files or directories. It may be desirable to set the verbosity level
to silent when using this option.

But when we use -t option with xfsrestore, it still create orphanage
directory in current directory (because no dest directory assign).
and if it's not empty, it is not removed.

This is a bug or it's a feature?

I can see code where this would happen, except that it would appear
to require both -r and -t to be used, and xfsrestore doesn't allow
that.

If you send the command line you used I can take another look.

Bill

here is the command I used for -t:
cat var.xfsdump.gz | gzip -dqv | xfsrestore -v silent -p 300 -J -t - |
grep "^xfsrestore:"

I also test it with only -t option, it also create orphanage folder
for such dump file (not all dump file has this issue)
cat var.xfsdump.gz | gzip -dqv | xfsrestore -t - | grep "^xfsrestore:"

I found an issue which is likely the same as what you're seeing. I'll
post a patch shortly, please let me know whether or not it fixes the
problem.

Thanks,
Bill