Re: XFS memory recomendation?

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:50:57PM +0100, Assarsson, Emil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any recommendations about how much memory I need based
> on the size of the file system and/or amount of files?  For
> example: how much memory would be optimal for a 20TB file system
> with 3000000 files?

/me shrugs

> I guess it depends on the usage pattern?

Totally.

> Is there any way to make sure that the file allocation table stays in the memory?

What's a "file allocation table"? XFS doesn't have one. :)

XFS does have a sophisticated metadata cache and reclaim scheme that
keeps frequently referenced metadata hot in cache, but you as a
user have very little control over that because the cache size is
effectively controlled by memory pressure. i.e. it's size is
completely workload dependent.....

Cheers,

Dave.
--