Re: XFS unlink still slow on 3.1.9 kernel ?

Hi Jeffrey,

On 02/14/2012 07:01 PM, Jeffrey Hundstad wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Someone asked if you used inode64.  I didn't see a response that you
> did.  Inode64 is a mount option.  I bet this will help with your
> problem.  It appears that all the inodes will be (by default, without
> the inode64 option) in the first 1TB of disk.  This could cause a LOT of
> seeks.  BTW: the option by itself will not help.  You'll need to
> save/restore to have this help.  However, I suspect over time it will
> help if files old files are replaced by new ones.
>
> For example:
> mount -o inode64 /dev/sda1 /home/
>
> Here's some documentation:
>
> mount(8):  inode64
> Indicates that XFS is allowed to create inodes at any location in the
> filesystem, including those which will result in inode numbers occupying
> more than 32 bits of significance.  This is provided for backwards
> compatibility, but causes problems for backup applications that cannot
> handle large inode numbers.
>
> http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_is_the_inode64_mount_option_for.3F
> Q: What is the inode64 mount option for?
>
> By default, with 32bit inodes, XFS places inodes only in the first 1TB
> of a disk. If you have a disk with 100TB, all inodes will be stuck in
> the first TB. This can lead to strange things like "disk full" when you
> still have plenty space free, but there's no more place in the first TB
> to create a new inode. Also, performance sucks.
>
> To come around this, use the inode64 mount options for filesystems >1TB.
> Inodes will then be placed in the location where their data is,
> minimizing disk seeks.

What about that programs using only 32-bit stat() ?

> Beware that some old programs might have problems reading 64bit inodes,
> especially over NFS. Your editor used inode64 for over a year with
> recent (openSUSE 11.1 and higher) distributions using NFS and Samba
> without any corruptions, so that might be a recent enough distro.

yes, I replied to Christoph's question stating that I am not using
inode64. My reply was:

"
No, I did not use it, but I was thinking about and ran the script from
http://sandeen.net/misc/summarise_stat.pl and got as an example on /bin:

# /net/c3m/usr/local/software/XFS/summarise_stat.pl /bin/
      9  6.2% are scripts (shell, perl, whatever)
     65 44.8% don't use any stat() family calls at all
     61 42.1% use 32-bit stat() family interfaces only
      9  6.2% use 64-bit stat64() family interfaces only
      1  0.7% use both 32-bit and 64-bit stat() family interfaces

So I was not sure if I should use inode64 or not.
"

Thanks, Richard

--
Richard Ems       mail: Richard.Ems@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx