Re: Placing the root partition on an XFS filesystem is not supported

On 2/5/12 7:54 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 06:13:28PM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:

>>> Certainly the problem exists with legacy grub - it assumes that it
>>> can write to the first sector or any disk or partition which
>>> overwrites the XFS superblock...
>>
>> well, it was worse than that.  I can work around the grub-on-a-partition
>> problem, but what I ran into was grub reading & writing to/from the block
>> device under a mounted filesystem - corruption and hilarity ensued.
>
> Oh, grub2 does worse things than that - grub_probe mounts any device
> that appears to have a valid superblock so it can find out what
> devices it needs to list in it's boot menu. I found this out when I
> built a big DM stripe out of disks that used to have filesystems on
> them.  grub-probe mounted every single device -inside- the stripe
> and ran log recovery on them, corrupting the new filesystem and
> quite a bit of data on the DM stripe they were part of....

Ok, your horror story wins from a pain POV ;)

but sounds like someone should have zeroed out a bit more disk
when setting up the dm stripes :(

I've always thought maybe we needed a libzero.so to zap every known signature
on disk....

-Eric