Re: File system remain unresponsive until the system is rebooted.

Le Wed, 1 Feb 2012 12:31:53 +0000
pg_xf2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Grandi) écrivait:

> In that case I eliminated all but the root filetree VM disks and
> replaced them with filetrees exported via NFS from XFS on the
> underlying VM host itself (that is not over the network).
>
> This improved performance tremendously (in part because in most VM
> layers virtual NICs are more efficient than virtual disk adapters)
> but in particular much faster check/repair and much reduced crazy
> latencies during backups, because I could run check/repair and the
> backups *on the real machine*, where XFS performed a lot better
> without the VM overheads and "skewed" latencies.

Thank you for all the good info. To add a last note, I use iSCSI to
export lvm LVs to VMs from the host, and it works fine. Exporting
files living on an XFS works well enough, too, though slightly slower.

It can be useful particularly for windows VM, because many windows app
really behave poorly with network shares (or refuse to use them
altogether).