xfs version and kernels

Today, for the second time in a couple of weeks I had an XFS filesystem
that was set up (and filled up) running some kernel that I was unable
to mount on a machine running an older kernel.

The first time, it was a volume mkfs'd on some recent OpenSuse (kernel
version unknown), that couldn't mount on a RedHat 5.3 (antediluvian
kernel 2.6.18-128.el5 ).

running xfs_db version gave this:

versionnum [0xb4a4+0xa] =
V4,NLINK,ALIGN,DALIGN,DIRV2,LOGV2,EXTFLG,MOREBITS,ATTR2,LAZYSBCOUNT

Today, a volume mkfs'd running 2.6.35 couldn't mount on 2.6.20. I
fortunately was able to update the running kernel to 2.6.32, and that
worked fine from there.

This FS had this version flags :
versionnum [0xb5a4+0xa] =
V4,NLINK,ALIGN,DALIGN,DIRV2,LOGV2,EXTFLG,MOREBITS,ATTR2,LAZYSBCOUNT

The native xfs tools would create an XFS with these flags instead:
versionnum [0x3094+0x0] = V4,ATTR,ALIGN,DIRV2,EXTFLG

Is there some way out of a kernel upgrade, to mount a recent XFS volume
on an older system? Particularly on these goddamned RHEL 5.x systems
which are both so very common and very out of date?