Re: Help with xfs and Fedora 8

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 06:23:41PM -0700, Ram Natarajan wrote:
> I have a bunch of Fedora 8 machines running Kernel 2.6.23.1.
> I am noticing that the xfs partitions on these machines 'freeze up' once in
> a while. I have  to manually run xfs_repair on these partitions to get them
> going again. Note that SMART does not report any hard disk errors - these
> are purely xfs related. I also see some xfs kernel module messages in the
> kernel logs. My question is this:
> Can I move to the latest xfs by recompiling xfs kernel module and xfs
> support code for 2.6.23.

The userspace code (xfsprogs, etc) is simple - just download the
latest and compile it.

> For various technical reasons, I cannot move to a
> later kernel, but it would be great if I can build the latest xfs modules
> and xfs support code for 2.6.23. Does anybody know if this is possible, and
> if it is possible, will it work reliably?

The kernel code is not so simple. Indeed, if you're not a kernel
programmer and familiar with the XFS code, then I'd put it in the
impossible basket. It'll take at least 3 months to do the backport
and adequately test it for production use, and that's if you pay an
expert to do it.

It's far, far simpler to just upgrade your machines to a more recent
distribution that it is to backport code to kernels that old....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner