Re: Premature "No Space left on device" on XFS

On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 09:18:09AM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 02:29:34PM +0200, Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
> > Can I avoid XFS giving ENOSPC due to inode shortage even in worst
> > case situations? I would be fine preallocating 1 GB for inode
> > storage if that would fix the problem. ext4 with bytes-per-inode =
> > blocksize does this fine.
>
> It's a bit of a hack, but you can do that fairly easily by:
>
>  - mounting the filesystem with the ikeep option
>  - creating the numbers of inodes you need (use a worst case allocation)
>    before starting the workload

Just bear in mind that this can result in all inodes being allocated
in the same AG, thereby serialising all future file creation and
deletion in the filesystem. If you take this route, using a directory
hashing scheme is, IMO, absolutely necessary.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner