Re: [xfs-masters] xfs deadlock in stable kernel 3.0.4

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 09:42:37PM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 09:40:03AM +0200, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
> > Am 21.09.2011 04:11, schrieb Dave Chinner:
> > >Also, what phase do you see it hanging in? the random stat phase is
> > >terribly slow on spinning disks, so if I can avoid that it woul dbe
> > >nice....
> > Creating or deleting files. never in the stat phase.
>
> Ok, I got a hang in the random delete phase. Not sure what is wrong
> yet, but inode reclaim is trying to reclaim inodes but failing, and
> the AIL is trying to push items but failing. Hence the tail of the
> log is not being moved forward and new transactions are being
> blocked until log space bcomes available.
>
> The AIl is particularly interesting. the number of pushes being
> executed is precisely 50/s, and precisely 5000 items/s are being
> scanned. All those items are pinned, so the "stuck" processing is
> what is triggering this pattern.
>
> Thing is, all the items are aparently pinned - I see that stat
> incrementing at 5,000/s. It's here:
>
>                 case XFS_ITEM_PINNED:
>                         XFS_STATS_INC(xs_push_ail_pinned);
>                         stuck++;
>                         flush_log = 1;
>                         break;
>
> so we should have the flush_log variable set. However, this code:
>
>         if (flush_log) {
>                 /*
>                  * If something we need to push out was pinned, then
>                  * push out the log so it will become unpinned and
>                  * move forward in the AIL.
>                  */
>                 XFS_STATS_INC(xs_push_ail_flush);
>                 xfs_log_force(mp, 0);
>         }
>
> never seems to execute. I don't see the xs_push_ail_flush stat
> increase, nor the log force counter increase, either. Hence the
> pinned items are not getting unpinned, and progress is not being
> made. Background inode reclaim is not making progress, either,
> because it skips pinned inodes.
>
> The AIL code is clearly cycling - the push counter is increasing,
> and the run numbers match the stuck code precisely (aborts at 100
> stuck items a cycle). The question is now why isn't the log force
> being triggered.
>
> Given this, just triggering a log force is shoul dget everything
> moving again. Running "echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" gets inode
> reclaim running in sync mode, which causes pinned inodes to trigger
> a log force. And once I've done this, everything starts running
> again.
>
> So, the log force not triggering in the AIL code looks to be the
> problem. That, I simply cannot explain right now - it makes no sense
> but that is what all the stats and trace events point to. I need to
> do more investigation.

Ok, it makes sense now. The kernel I was running (from before I went
on holidays) had this patch in it:

I found this out by disassembling the kernel code. That code has a
bug it in when the stuck case is hit - it fails to issue the log
force in that case, and that's why I've been seeing this kernel get
stuck. False alarm - will now try to reproduce without any dev
patches in the kernel.

Cheers,

Dave.
--