Re: XFS metadata flushing design - current and future

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:28:21AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > One really stupid thing we do in that area is that the xfs_iflush from
> > xfs_inode_item_push puts the buffer at the end of the delwri list and
> > expects it to be aged, just so that the first xfs_inode_item_pushbuf
> > can promote it to the front of the list.  Now that we mostly write
> > metadata from AIL pushing
>
> Actually, when we have lots of data to be written, we still call
> xfs_iflush() a lot from .write_inode. That's where the delayed write
> buffer aging has significant benefit.

One thing we could try is to log the inode there even for non-blocking
write_inode calls to unifty the code path.  But I suspect simply waiting
for 3.3 and making future progress based on the removal of ->write_inode
is going to to save us a lot of work and deal with different behaviour.

> [ IOWs, the xfs_inode_item_push() simply locks the inode and returns

              xfs_inode_item_trylock?

> PUSHBUF if it needs flushing, then xfs_inode_item_pushbuf() calls
> xfs_iflush() and gets the dirty buffer back, which it then adds the
> buffer to a local dispatch list rather than submitting IO directly. ]

Why not keep using _push for this?

> FWIW, what this discussion is indicating to me is that we should
> timestamp entries in the AIL so we can push it to a time threshold
> as well as a LSN threshold.
>
> That is, whenever we insert a new entry into the AIL, we not only
> update the LSN and position, we also update the insert time of the
> buffer. We can then update the time based threshold every few
> seconds and have the AIL wq walker walk until the time threshold is
> reached pushing items to disk. This would also make the xfssyncd
> "push the entire AIL" change to "push anything older than 30s" which
> is much more desirable from a sustained workload POV.

Sounds reasonable.  Except that we need to do the timestamp on the log
item and not the buffer given that we might often not even have a
buffer at AIL insertation time.

> If we then modify the way all buffers are treated such that
> the AIL is the "delayed write list" (i.e. we take a reference count
> to the buffer when it is first logged and not in the AIL) and the
> pushbuf operations simply add the buffer to the local dispatch list,
> we can get rid of the delwri buffer list altogether. That also gets
> rid of the xfsbufd, too, as the AIL handles the aging, reference
> counting and writeback of the buffers entirely....

That would be nice.  We'll need some ways to deal with the delwri
buffers from quotacheck and log recovery if we do this, but we could
just revert to the good old async buffers if we want to keep things
simple.  Alternatively we could keep local buffer submission lists
in quotacheck and pass2 of log recovery, similar to what you suggested
for the AIL worked.

We could also check if we can get away with not needing lists managed
by us at all and rely on the on-stack plugging, which I'm about to move
up from the request layer to the bio layer and thus making generally
useful.

> > > Also, larger inode buffers to reduce the amount of IO we do to both
> > > read and write inodes might also provide significant benefits by
> > > reducing the amount of IO and number of buffers we need to track in
> > > the cache...
> >
> > We could try to get for large in-core clusters.  That is try to always
> > allocate N aligned inode clusters together, and always read/write
> > clusters in that alignment together if possible.
>
> Well, just increasing the cluster buffer to cover an entire inode
> chunk for common inode sizes (16k for 256 byte inodes and 32k for
> 512 byte inodes) would make a significant difference, I think.

Ok, starting out simple might make most sense.