Re: "xfs: fix error handling for synchronous writes" revisited

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 04:21:01PM +0530, Ajeet Yadav wrote:
> Just to recall, last year we have reported one hang issue in 2.6.30.9
> wherein we get hang if we remove the device while synchronous write was underway
> It was because synchronous buffer remain locked in case of EIO error.

>  "xfs: fix error handling for synchronous writes" for 2.6.38 was given
> by community
> Unfortunately I did not use this patch and therefore did not test it.
>
> Coming to present, I run the same test case again, and I got different
> hang pasted below.
> While debugging I compared with my own solution, wherein I did not
> have any issue
> Kindly review the solution patch

Given that xfs_bwrite actually does the shutdown already after
waiting for the b_iodone completion this looks fine to me.  And given
that we actually found that calling xfs_force_shutdown from inside
xfs_buf_iodone_callbacks was a major contributor the problem it looks
like an onversight that we didn't drop this call.

Can you re-send the patch with a proper changelog and signoff?