Re: 2.6.xx: NFS: directory motion/cam2 contains a readdir loop

On Wednesday 27 July 2011, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 03:54:49PM -0400, Bryan Schumaker wrote:
> > It should be printing on the second hit of a cookie.
>
> But looking closer at it it only prints the directory name and not
> that of any of the matching cookies, making it pretty useless to
> debug any problem.  (and it makes my previous question to Justin look
> stupid..).
>

> But so far I still stick to my previous theory that this sounds like
> a directory offset getting reused.  How is cache invalidation for
> the array supposed to work?  And maybe more importantly, given that
> he can only reproduce it with a .38 client did any bugs get fixed in
> that code recently that might lead to issues with the cache
> invalidation?

At the time I've started this thread
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.nfs/40863
I had the feeling that the readdir cache changings in 2.6.37 have
something to do with these loop problems.

After that thread I've accepted that's a general problem with
ext4/dirindex and nfs but seeing it again on xfs with just 5000 files
I'm in doubt again.

cu,
Rudi