Re: 1 Gb Ethernet based HPC storage deployment plan

On 7/23/2011 4:30 AM, Emmanuel Florac wrote:
> Le Wed, 20 Jul 2011 22:03:33 +0800 vous écriviez:
>
>> I know it would be better if I can use Lustre but my interconnection
>> is a little slow. I suspect if it is feasible if using such parallel
>> file system.
>>
>> Does anyone has good idea on this deployment?
>>

> For this kind of setup, true cluster filesystems like Lustre,
> PVFS2/OrangeFS, Gluster, Ceph... would be much better. Striping 20
> iSCSI volumes across would be awfully dangerous.
>
> I'd go with OrangeFS (pvfs.org) because I'm pretty happy with it so far
> (using XFS as the underlying local filesystem). It's precisely made to
> agreggate computing clusters storage.

Typically one starts looking at hardware solutions after identifying the
needs of the target application/workload.

Is the proposed storage cluster system simply a proof of concept
testbed, or will it actually be tasked with real work?  If the latter
I'd rethink your iSCSI export to NFS server idea.  You mentioned only 8
disks.  Just drop them directly into the NFS host and avoid many
potential headaches down the road.

--
Stan