Re: 30 TB RAID6 + XFS slow write performance

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 12:16:15AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 7/19/2011 7:20 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:

> >> In addition to all the other recommendations, once the BBU is installed,
> >> disable the individual drive caches (if this isn't done automatically),
> >> and set the controller cache mode to 'write back'.  The write through
> >> and direct I/O cache modes will deliver horrible RAID6 write performance.
> >>
> >> And, BTW, RAID6 is a horrible choice for a parallel, small file, high
> >> random I/O workload such as you've described.  RAID10 would be much more
> >> suitable.  Actually, any striped RAID is less than optimal for such a
> >> small file workload.  The default stripe size for the LSI RAID
> >> controllers, IIRC, is 64KB.  With 14 spindles of stripe width you end up
> >> with 64*14 = 896KB.
> >
> > All good up to here.
>
> And then my lack of understanding of XFS internals begins to show. :(

The fact you are trying to understand them is the important bit!

> > So if you have a small file workload, specifying sunit/swidth can
> > actually -decrease- performance because it allocates the file
> > extents sparsely. IOWs, stripe alignment is important for bandwidth
> > intensive applications because it allows full stripe writes to occur
> > much more frequently, but can be harmful to small file performance
> > as the aligned allocation pattern can prevent full stripe writes
> > from occurring.....
>
> I don't recall reading this before Dave.  Thank you for this tidbit.

I'm sure I've said this before, but it's possible I've said it this
time in away that is obvious and understandable. Most people
struggle with the concept of allocation alignment and why it might be
important, let alone understand it well enough to discuss intricate
details of the allocator and tuning it for different workloads...

> How much performance decrease are we looking at here?

Depends on your hardware and the workload. It may not be measurable,
it may be very noticable. benchmarking your system with your
workload is the only way to really know.

> An mkfs.xfs of an
> mdraid striped array will by default create sunit/swidth values right?
> And thus this lower performance w/small files.

In general, sunit/swidth being specified provides a better tradeoff
for maintaining consistent performance on files across the
filesystem. it might cost a little for small files, but unaligned IO
on large files cause much more noticable performace problems...

> >> If you read the list archives you'll see
> >> recommendations for an optimal storage stack setup for this workload.
> >> It goes something like this:
> >>
> >> 1.  Create a linear array of hardware RAID1 mirror sets.
> >>     Do this all in the controller if it can do it.
> >>     If not, use Linux RAID (mdadm) to create a '--linear' array of the
> >>     multiple (7 in your case, apparently) hardware RAID1 mirror sets
> >>
> >> 2.  Now let XFS handle the write parallelism.  Format the resulting
> >>     7 spindle Linux RAID device with, for example:
> >>
> >>     mkfs.xfs -d agcount=14 /dev/md0
> >>
> >> By using this configuration you eliminate the excessive head seeking
> >> associated with the partial stripe write problems of RAID6, restoring
> >> performance efficiency to the array.  Using 14 allocation groups allows
> >> XFS to write write, at minimum, 14 such files in parallel.
> >
> > That's not correct. 14 AG means that if the files are laid out
> > across all AGs then there can be 14 -allocations- in parallel at
> > once. If Io does not require allocation, then they don't serialise
> > at all on the AGs.  IOWs, If allocation takes 1ms of work in an AG,
> > then you could have 1,000 allocations per second per AG. With 14
> > AGs, that gives allocation capability of up to 14,000/s
>
> So are you saying that we have no guarantee, nor high probability, that
> the small files in this case will be spread out across all AGs, thus
> making more efficient use of each disk's performance in the concatenated
> array, vs a striped array?  Or, are you merely pointing out a detail I
> have incorrect, which I've yet to fully understand?

Yet to fully understand. It's not limited to small files, either.

XFS doesn't guarantee that specific allocations are evenly
distributed across AGs, but it does try to spread the overall
contents of the filesystem across all AGs. It does have concepts of
locality of reference, but they change depending on the allocator in
use.

Take, for example, inode32 vs inode64 which are the two most common
allocation strategies and assume we have a 16TB fs with 1TB AGs.
The inode32 allocator will place all inodes and most directory
metadata in the first AG, below one TB. There is basically no
metadata allocation parallelism in this strategy, so metadata
performance is limited and will often serialise. Metadata tends to
have good locality of reference - all directories and inodes will
tend to be close together on disk because they are in the same AG.

Data, on the other had is rotored around AGs 2-16 on a per file
basis, so there is no locality between inodes and their data, nor of
data between two adjacent files in the same directory. There is,
however, data allocation parallelism because files are spread
across allocation groups...

Hence for inode32, metadata is closely located, but data is spread
out widely. Hence metadata operations don't scale at all well on a
linear concat (e.g. hit only one disk/mirror pair), but data
allocations are spread effectively and hence parallelise and scale
quite well. The downside to this is that data lookups involve large
seeks if you have a stripe, and hence can be quite slow. Data reads
on a linear concat are not guaranteed to evenly load the disks,
either, simply because there's no correlation between the location
of the data and the access patterns.

For inode64, locality of reference clusters around the directory
structure. The inodes for files in a directory will be allocated in
the same AG as the directory inode, and the data for each file will
be allocated in the same AG as the file inodes. When you create a
new directory, it gets placed in a different AG, and the pattern
repeats. So for inode64, distributing files across all AGs is caused
by distributing the directory structure. FWIW, an example is a
kernel source tree:

~/src/kern/xfsdev$ find . -type d -exec sudo xfs_bmap -v {} \; | awk '/ 0: / { print $4 }' |sort -n |uniq -c
     76 0
     66 1
     85 2
     81 3
     82 4
     69 5
     89 6
     74 7
     90 8
     81 9
     96 10
     84 11
     85 12
     84 13
     86 14
     71 15

As you can see, there's a relatively even spread of the directories
across all 16 AGs in that directory structure, and the file data
will follow this pattern. Because of it's better metadata<->data
locality of reference, inode64 tends to be signficantly faster on
workloads that mix metadata operations with data operations (e.g.
recursive grep across a kernel source tree) as the seek cost between
the inode and it's data is much less than for inode32....

However, if youre workload does not spread across directories, then
IO will tend to be limited to specific silos in the linear concat
while other disks sit idle. If you have a stripe, then the seeks to
get to the data are small, and hence much faster than inode32 on
similar workloads.

This is all ignoring stripe aligned allocation - that is often lost
in the noise comapred to bigger issues like seeking from AG 0 to AG
15 when reading the inode then the data or having a workload only
use a single AG because it is all confined to a single directory.

IOWs, the best, most optimal filesystem layout and allocation
stratgey is both workload and hardware dependent, and there's no one
right answer. The defaults select the best balance for typical usage
- beyond that benchmarking the workload is the only way to really
measure whether your tweaks are the right ones or not. IOWs, you
need to understand the filesystem, your storage hardware and -the
application IO patterns- to make the right tuning decisions.

> > And given that not all writes require allocation and allocation is
> > usually only a small percentage of the total IO time. You can have
> > many, many more write IOs in flight than you can do allocations in
> > an AG....
>
> Ahh, I think I see your point.  For the maildir case, more of the IO is
> likely due to things like updating message flags, etc, than actually
> writing new mail files into the directory.

I wasn't really talking about maildir here, just pointing out that
allocation is generally not the limiting factor in doing large
amounts of concurrent write IO.

> Such operations don't
> require allocation.  With the workload mentioned by the OP, it's
> possible that all of the small file writes may indeed require
> allocation, unlike the maildir workload.  But if this is the case,
> wouldn't the concatenated array still yield better overall performance
> than RAID6, or any other striped array?

<shrug>

Quite possibly, butI can't say conclusively - I simply don't know
enough about the workload or the fs configuration.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner