xfs_growfs doesn't resize

Hello kind XFS folks,

I am having a strange issue with xfs_growfs, and before I attempt to do
something potentially unsafe, I thought I would check in with the list
for advice.

Our fileserver had an ~11TB xfs filesystem hosted under linux lvm.  I
recently added more disks to create a new 9TB container, and used the
lvm tools to add the container to the existing volume group.  When I
went to xfs_growfs the filesystem, I had the first issue that this user
had, where the metadata was reported, but there was no message about
the new number of blocks:

Fortunately, I have not yet seen the other symptoms that the OP saw: I
can still read from and write to the original filesystem.  But the
filesystem size hasn't changed, and I'm not experienced enough to
interpret the xfs_info output properly.

I read through that thread (and others), but none seemed specific to my
issue.  Plus, since my filesystem still seems healthy, I'm hoping that
there's a graceful way to resolve the issue and add the new disk space.

Here's some of the information I've seen asked for in the past.  I
apologize for it being fairly long.

/proc/partitions:

major minor  #blocks  name

   8     0  244129792 sda
   8     1     104391 sda1
   8     2    8385930 sda2
   8     3   21205800 sda3
   8     4          1 sda4
   8     5   30876898 sda5
   8     6   51761398 sda6
   8     7   20555136 sda7
   8     8    8233281 sda8
   8     9   20603331 sda9
   8    16 11718684672 sdb
   8    17 11718684638 sdb1
 253     1 21484244992 dm-1
   8    48 9765570560 sdd
   8    49 9765568085 sdd1

sdb1 is the original member of the volume group.  sdd1 is the new PV.  I
believe dm-1 is the LV where the volume group is hosted (and all the LVM
tools report a 20TB logical volume).

# lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/saharaVG/saharaLV
  VG Name                saharaVG
  LV UUID                DjacPa-p9mk-mBmv-69c2-dmXF-LfxQ-wsRUOD
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                20.01 TB
  Current LE             5245177
  Segments               2
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:1

# uname -a
Linux sahara.xxx 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5 #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 09:10:25 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Yes, it's not a completely current kernel.  This box is running CentOS 5
with some yum updates.

# xfs_growfs -V
xfs_growfs version 2.9.4

This xfs_info is from after the xfs_growfs attempt.  I regret that I don't have one from before; I was actually thinking of it, but the resize went so smoothly on my test machine (and went fine in the past as well on other platforms) that I didn't give it much thought till it was too late.

# xfs_info /export/
meta-data=/dev/mapper/saharaVG-saharaLV isize=256    agcount=32, agsize=91552192 blks
         =                       sectsz=512   attr=0
data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=2929670144,
imaxpct=25
         =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=1
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
log      =internal               bsize=4096   blocks=32768, version=1
         =                       sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=0
realtime =none                   extsz=4096   blocks=0, rtextents=0

I saw requests to run xfs_db, but I don't want to mess up the syntax, even if -r should be safe.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

--keith

--
kkeller@xxxxxxxxx