Re: long hangs when deleting large directories (3.0-rc3)

On Montag, 20. Juni 2011 Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:
> Here are two more examples. The time when the hang occurs is marked

Could it be that some sectors on the disk are not easy to read for the
drive, and that it simply retries several times until it works again?
SATA disks can show that behaviour. You could try with "dd" with
seek/skip parameters so you read 1gb at once, then skip 1gb and read 1gb
again etc, and compare the throughput over all 1gb areas. If there's one
slower, that might be the problem.

Maybe a check with "smartctl" could help, too.

Just an idea because during your hang, no CPU or I/O is done, so I guess
it wouldn't be the fault of Linux/XFS or other software, but more
hardware.

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc