Re: XFS umount issue

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 11:29:19PM -0700, Nuno Subtil wrote:
> Thanks for chiming in. Replies inline below:
>
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 17:02, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 02:39:39PM -0700, Nuno Subtil wrote:
> >> I have an MD RAID-1 array with two SATA drives, formatted as XFS.
> >
> > Hi Nuno. it is probably best to say this at the start, too:
> >
> >> This is on an ARM system running kernel 2.6.39.
> >
> > So we know what platform this is occurring on.
>
> Will keep that in mind. Thanks.
>

> >> Occasionally, doing an umount followed by a mount causes the mount to
> >> fail with errors that strongly suggest some sort of filesystem
> >> corruption (usually 'bad clientid' with a seemingly arbitrary ID, but
> >> occasionally invalid log errors as well).
> >
> > So reading back the journal is getting bad data?
>
> I'm not sure. XFS claims it found a bad clientid. I'm not too versed
> in filesystems to be able to tell for myself :)
>

> >> The one thing in common among all these failures is that they require
> >> xfs_repair -L to recover from. This has already caused a few
> >> lost+found entries (and data loss on recently written files). I
> >> originally noticed this bug because of mount failures at boot, but
> >> I've managed to repro it reliably with this script:
> >
> > Yup, that's normal with recovery errors.
> >
> >> while true; do
> >>       mount /store
> >>       (cd /store && tar xf test.tar)
> >>       umount /store
> >>       mount /store
> >>       rm -rf /store/test-data
> >>       umount /store
> >> done
> >
> > Ok, so there's nothing here that actually says it's an unmount
> > error. More likely it is a vmap problem in log recovery resulting in
> > aliasing or some other stale data appearing in the buffer pages.
> >
> > Can you add a 'xfs_logprint -t <device>' after the umount? You
> > should always see something like this telling you the log is clean:
>
> Well, I just ran into this again even without using the script:
>
> root@howl:/# umount /dev/md5
> root@howl:/# xfs_logprint -t /dev/md5
> xfs_logprint:
>     data device: 0x905
>     log device: 0x905 daddr: 488382880 length: 476936
>
>     log tail: 731 head: 859 state: <DIRTY>
>

> LOG REC AT LSN cycle 1 block 731 (0x1, 0x2db)
>
> LOG REC AT LSN cycle 1 block 795 (0x1, 0x31b)

Was there any other output? If there were valid transactions between
the head and tail of the log xfs_logprint should have decoded them.

> I see nothing in dmesg at umount time. Attempting to mount the device
> at this point, I got:
>
> [  764.516319] XFS (md5): Mounting Filesystem
> [  764.601082] XFS (md5): Starting recovery (logdev: internal)
> [  764.626294] XFS (md5): xlog_recover_process_data: bad clientid 0x0

Yup, that's got bad information in a transaction header.

> [  764.632559] XFS (md5): log mount/recovery failed: error 5
> [  764.638151] XFS (md5): log mount failed
>
> Based on your description, this would be an unmount problem rather
> than a vmap problem?

Not clear yet. I forgot to mention that you need to do

# echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

before you run xfs_logprint, otherwise it will see stale cached
pages and give erroneous results..

You might want to find out if your platform needs to (and does)
implement these functions:

flush_kernel_dcache_page()
flush_kernel_vmap_range()
void invalidate_kernel_vmap_range()

as these are what XFS relies on platforms to implement correctly to
avoid cache aliasing issues on CPUs with virtually indexed caches.

> I've tried adding a sync before each umount, as well as testing on a
> plain old disk partition (i.e., without going through MD), but the
> problem persists either way.

The use of sync before unmount implies it is not an unmount problem,
and ruling out MD is also a good thing to know.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner