Re: drastic changes to allocsize semantics in or around 2.6.38?

On 22.05.2011 12:00, Dave Chinner wrote:

> I don't really care what you think the problem is based on what
> you've read in this email thread, or for that matter how you think
> we should fix it. What I really want is your test cases that
> reproduce the problem so I can analyse it for myself. Once I
> understand what is going on, then we can talk about what the real
> problem is and how to fix it.

What would interest me is why the following creates files with large
preallocations.

cp -a <somedir> target
rm -rf target
cp -a <somedir> target

After the first copy everything looks normal, `du` is about the
original value.

After the second run a `du` shows a much higher value, until the
preallocation is shrunk away.

Bis denn