Re: RAID6 r-m-w, op-journaled fs, SSDs

On Samstag, 30. April 2011 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Poor cache management, I'd guess, is one reason why you see Areca
> RAID  cards with 1-4GB cache DRAM whereas competing cards w/ similar
> price/performance/features from LSI, Adaptec, and others sport
> 512MB.

On one server (XENserver virtualized with ~14 VMs running Linux) which
suffered from slow I/O on RAID-6 during heavy times, I upgraded the
cache from 1G to 4G using an Areca ARC-1260 controller (somewhat
outdated now), and couldn't see any advantage. Maybe it would have been
measurable, but the damn thing was still pretty slow, so using more hard
disks is still the better option than upgrading the cache.

Just for documentation if someone sees slow I/O on Areca. More spindles
rock. That server had 8x 10krpm WD Raptor 150G drives by the time.

--
mit freundlichen GrÃssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc

it-management Internet Services: ProtÃger
Tel: +43 660 / 415 6531

// ****** Radiointerview zum Thema Spam ******
// http://www.it-podcast.at/archiv.html#podcast-100716
//