Re: xfs 14TB - check

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 08:57:40AM -0800, tramper wrote:

> Hallo Forum,
>
> i formated a storage with 16 disks (Raid5  and sparedrive) with xfs. The
> volume is 14TB big. There where circuit Problems and we had several server
> shutdowns and Problems.
> The Server is a ubuntu 8.04 32bit.
                              ^^^^^ There's your problem.

> Now I want to check my xfs Partition.
>
> i used xfs_repair /dev/cciss/c0...p1 and got the following error message:
>
> fatal error -- couldn't allocate block map, size XXXXXXX
>
> I have 2 GB of Ram in the machine.

Even if you put more in it, the 32-bit address space limit will be
the limiting factor.

> What should I do and how to check my volume?

You almost certainly need a 64-bit machine. Even with the latest
xfs_repair, you need about 2GB of RAM for the free space checking on
a 14TB filesystem.

Try running:

# xfs_repair -m 1 -vv <device>

And it will tell you how much memory you need to repair the
filesystem. Note that this is only a rough estimate - it may be
quite a bit more than the amount specified depending on the state
and contents of the filesystem...

Cheers,

Dave.
--