Re: External log size limitations

Matthias Schniedermeyer put forth on 2/19/2011 4:02 AM:
> On 18.02.2011 21:53, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Fist, sorry for the length.  I can tend to get windy talking shop. :)
>>
>> Andrew Klaassen put forth on 2/18/2011 2:31 PM:
>>
>>> It's IBM and LSI gear, so I'm crossing my fingers that a Linux install
>>> will be relatively painless.
>>
>> Ahh, good.  At least, so far it seems so. ;)
>>
>>> I thought that the filesystem block size was still limited to the kernel
>>> page size, which is 4K on x86 systems.
>>>
>>> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/
>>>
>>> "The maximum filesystem block size is the page size of the kernel, which
>>> is 4K on x86 architecture."
>>>
>>> Is this no longer true?  It would be awesome news if it wasn't.
>>
>> My mistake.  It would appear you are limited to the page size, which, as
>> I mentioned, is still 8 KiB for most distros.
>
> You confuse that with STACK-size.

Yes, I did.  However...

> The page-size is, and has always been, 4 KiB (on X86).

To bring this back around to the OP's original question, do you agree or
disagree with my assertion that a 64 KiB XFS block size will yield
little if any advantage over a 4 KiB block size, and may in fact have
some disadvantages, specifically with small file random IO?

--
Stan