Re: xfsdump SGI_FS_BULKSTAT errno = 22, how could this IRIX bug get into Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid between kernels 2.6.32-27 and 2.6.32-26?

On 02/04/2011 02:49 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 09:12:53AM -0500, Michael Lueck wrote:
Dave Chinner wrote:
Ok, so xfsdump i seeing a short bulkstat, then an EINVAL returned
>from the next bulkstat. That's not a race condition, and makes me
think you have some kind of on-disk corruption.

Very odd that some kind of on-disk corruption is suddenly causing
xfsdump problems starting with Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) kernel
2.6.32-27 and persisting in 2.6.32-28.

Not really. The newer kernels have code in them that does more
validity checks than previous kernels, so older kernels would have
erroneously and silently returned unlinked files to xfsdump and have
them backed up. IOWs, you'd never notice such a corruption with
xfsdump. On the new kernel, xfsdump gets an EINVAL error to such
occurrences, which it should have in the first place.

And there is one other person who confirmed this xfsdump problem
running Lucid with kernel 2.6.32-28. They reported their "me too"
in the Ubuntu bug tracker.

Could it be that 2.6.32-26 and prior managed to write something to
disk corrupted, and the newer code is tripping on it?

That's what I'm trying to find out. Or it could be something as
simple as your disk has had an undetected bit error that has flipped
a bit in the inode allocation btree.

Hi Dave,

I am able to reproduce this on a system running Ubuntu 10.4
(2.6.32-28). I took a metadump of the filesystem and moved it to
a system running 10.10 (2.6.35-25), and was able to successfully
dump it there. Likewise it dumps fine on 2.6.38-rc1. So this
suggests an issue with the Ubuntu 10.4 kernel.

Bill