Re: mkfs.xfs pagefault when removed storage during operation

On 2/1/11 5:06 AM, Ajeet Yadav wrote:
> We are testing mkfs.xfs and xfs_repair stability to look for crashes
> and other issues specially with removable devices.
> And unfortunately crashes does occur.
> Code inspection shows in most cases the caller does not handle
> libxfs_readbuf() for error cases i.e when return value = NULL.
>
> Now I need your suggestion.
> We should fix all such cases or the simplest way is to exit... if
> read() or write() fails with EIO errorno in libxfs_readbufr() and
> libxfs_writebufr().

I see very little reason to gracefully handle all error cases
during mkfs. It would be prettier, yes, but if mkfs fails, with
or without an error, with or without a segfault, you have to
just start it over anyway, right?

I think there are better places to focus effort.

-Eric